Not your usual Annual Meeting
Annual meetings at St. John’s are somewhat different than at most Episcopal churches. Yes, we take care of the required business—review budget and finances, report on ministries and programs, elect Vestry members and recognize extraordinary efforts from the previous year.
However, all of that business can get a little dry. To break up the monotony, to encourage more people to participate, and to raise some funds, we decided to liven things up a little by inserting a gourmet auction into the mix. It has worked well for us. Here’s how it goes:
- Mass is at 9:00 am – Annual Meeting starts around 10:15
- Bring a gourmet item to auction off—this can be your favorite recipe or a service to be delivered later, i.e. a pie of your choice delivered hot to your door, or a dinner for 4 cooked especially for you and your guests. NOTE: This is NOT mandatory--if cooking or baking is not your thing, please join us anyway--we need people to buy the food items, too!
- Make sure your contribution is labeled. Include your name, basic ingredients and instructions for reheating, etc.
- Place your item on the auction table in the fellowship hall before or after Mass.
- Pick up the Annual Meeting Packet in the fellowship hall and take a seat. These will be found near the entrance and contain printouts of reports and financials and ballots.
- Once the Annual Meeting begins, in between each report and/or business item, a few items will be auctioned off.
- If your bid wins, you can take your winnings home or, if appropriate, share with your table.
- Pay the treasurer by cash or check before you leave.